Sunday, September 12, 2010

Where the Nile Begins...

It's pretty good here in Uganda.
This week was very much
more interesting in a lot of ways so I hope
I can remember all the crazy things that happened.
We did move into our new place on Tuesday.
It is much nicer than our old place. We spent the
whole day cleaning and moving things up the hill to
the new place with the help of the couple

Last Tuesday we spent the entire day moving into
our new place. It was a lot of things even though it
seemed like we had nothing. Maybe it's just because we
had to move everything ourselves. We also
had a celebratory burning of one of our old wicker
shelves that was completely ruined, so don't worry,
that's what the pictures with the
fire in them are.

Wednesday we finished things up and had Elder U be
with Elder B and myself in Bugembe. The other zone
leader and him spent the night at our place Tuesday
and we went on exchanges for the next day.
It was good switching things up a little and seeing
how others contact and teach.

On Thursday we all went to Jinja for a Zone Development
meeting which was good and went out to eat with some
of the other missionaries at a
place called Park Villa. It's the place in Jinja I like
to eat the most and isn't too expensive. I got fish and
chips there like I always do. Everytime I get it though
I ask for vinegar and the people think
I'm mad. They think it's weird I put it on the chips and
fish. One of these times I'm just going to ask for the
Vinegar and then just sniff it and give it back to them
or something. I feel like that's what they
expect me to do anyways.

Friday we just had weekly planning and correlation meeting
but still ended up with about 7 lessons which is good.
We even made it to Jinja for Elder M birthday at Two Friends.
That restaraunt was expensive! It was like 6000 shillings
for a milkshake and 1500 just for a soda. The food was pretty
good anyways. That seemed like the Mazungu hotspot. Over
half the people at that place were white.

Saturday we had to make sure and hunt down David for his
baptismal interview. That seems to have to happen everytime
we are planning on baptizing someone as the devil tries
his hardest to stop it from happening. This time seemed
like he worked the hardest though. It started to rain right
before we were supposed to have the interview,
David started getting sick with Malaria, and even on Sunday
we realized the water wasn't filling the tank from the night
before so the water was just a little over a foot deep.
What we had to do was I had to kneel in the tank and David
had to sit as I baptized him. So things went off regardless
no matter how hard satan tried. Good always
triumphs over evil. I actually wasn't originally supposed
to baptize David but Saturday night I was laying in bed and
David calls and says he's changed his mind and wants me
to baptize him. It would have been too hard to say no,
that we wanted a member to do it over the phone so
I just said ok. It was good to have that baptism especially
after I forgot to teach David the W.O.W. last week.
I think my companions were more happy about it because
they haven't had too many baptisms on
their side so they were happy to count David as one of
theirs even though I don't think they've taught the guy
more than once or twice

We also had 13 investigators come to church on Sunday
and the fast and testimony meeting was awesome!
My favorite part was when 2 children
bore their testimonies and it really shows how the church
is growing here. It was the best part of my week to
tell you the truth. There were also a lot of other great
testimonies and thankfully none of them
seemed to weird as to scare off any of the 13 investigators
we had.

Sunday night we also met an awesome family who lives a
few houses down from us. A guy named Godfrey and his 4
sisters sat as we taught them about the Book of Mormon.
This Godfrey guy had 2 friends from Bugembe
who were serving in Kenya and South Africa and told us he
believed us and knew what we were teaching him was correct.
Their family was super nice and it was cool because they
actually had a pretty nice home,
which we aren't used to teaching in.

And finally today was the best day of the week.
This morning we went to the source of the Nile River with
the missionaries from Njero. Itwas awesome!
It cost 5000 to get just into the place but it was so
sweet to see where the worlds largest river made its start.
I got a lot of good pics from that, I hope I am able to
send all of them today. We also after getting some cool
pics started to 'contact' some
monkeys. We also got to feed them and chase them around.
It was pretty funny.

So that was my week.

I wish you could be here and see everything that I get
the opportunity to see as I'm doing the work of the Lord.
Also you guys should read the book of Revelations again.
I read that book in depth this last
week and wow! As Mormons we know so much more about that
book than anyone else in the world. Going to the temple
helps me understand half
that book so much more,

God Bless! The Church is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment