Sunday, March 27, 2011



God did create a great world didn’t he?
Of course there has to be weeds though, otherwise
you wouldn’t appreciate as much the rest of the
yard, or how great the yard looks without them.
(2 Nephi 2:11) By the way, I’m starting to love
the scriptures. They are awesome. Mine are full
of side notes from studying now with all the
great words of God highlighted. I’ve also been
writing all the hymns next to their accompanying
verses in all the scriptures. I found in the back
of the hymnbook how it has all the scriptures in
chronological order with all hymns that have to do
with that particular scripture. I thought it was
kind of neat.

My new area is pretty close to my old area, they
are in the same zone of missionaries like I said.
I can see my old area from here, and I could see
this area pretty well from my old area. I’m still
adjusting but I’m starting to get settled. The only
problem is it’s been raining every day here for the
last week so I’ve mostly seen the ground of this
area as I made sure to not step in too many puddles.

Mengo is a branch still, and the Palace is somehow
on the other side of the area of Mengo we are in so
I haven’t seen it up close.

That bird at the beach is called a Goondy bird
(or so the missionaries say). Goondy in Luganda
means thing, which I think pretty accurately describes
that bird. I hear the spit on them is acidic!

So the week was good. A lot of figuring things out
as to the area and people but there are a lot of
faithful members of the church here. It seems like
a lot of people come and go as they are baptized
but there are a few people who remain faithful
throughout the years. We’ve even been having a few
family home evenings around here and they seem great.
The families we have them with are so close and much
better off than those who aren’t members of the
church, who don’t really have good relationships
with one another.

We had a good DDM on Wednesday and set goals for the
transfer. We agreed on 6 baptisms each from each side
to make 12 baptisms for the district. That would be
great to get that.
We’ve been teaching a lot of people at the church and
giving people baptismal dates right away, the first
time we meet them. It has been good.

Again like I said it’s rained pretty much every day
here for a few hours each day so that kind of delayed
us on some things.


On Sunday there were 5 confirmations and we had 61
people there for sacrament meeting. There is room
for improvement on that one so we hope to see more
people come each week. We also got a less active
recent convert to come this Sunday which was great.
It reminded me of the prodigal son story. Also I was
reminded of the parable of the man who built his
house on a rock and the one who built his house on
the sandy foundation. I related it too on Sunday how
it was drizzling a tiny bit, and yet so many people
didn’t come to church because of that. It really
shows what foundation they are built on if a tiny
bit of drizzle washes their house away. People
need to be truly converted, and not just joining
the church for personal gain. Like Jesus taught, and
the quote mom left, “he who saves his life shall lose
it, and he that loses his life for my sake shall find
it”. I love you all. Let’s lose our lives in the
service of our fellowman because when we are in the
service of others, we are truly in the service of
our God. (Mosiah 2:17).


Elder Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment